Musings from a longtime seamstress and quiltmaker on the textile art life

Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Piecing the Blog

This is the first post to my Blog titled Sew Long. I'm going to treat this like a quilt or a garment. What shall I make? Or write about? I think I'll make a small blog of squares just to test my colors! I have sewn all my life. At first, a bit secretly in daydreams, as no one could touch mother's sewing machine. I played in my grandmothers embroidery basket and scoured around in my mother's sewing "pantry" when she was not home: bulging pattern envelopes stacked like files , boxes of buttons, heavy drawers loaded with fabric, mysterious tools, the "good" scissors, the closet with garments hanging within. I read anything that had to do with sewing, reading over and over again paragraphs of words I did not understand, awaiting for the day I could join 4-H and sew like the older girls. Alas, that day came, I was sick with an epidemic flu and could not attend, I had to catch up, and this girl desperate to sew was stuck with a Mom who could sew, helped with 4-H, but had no patience or inclination to teach her daughter. She just should know how. So I grew up, moved away, and began my own adventure with thread and needles.

No comments:

Post a Comment